Ownley for the Planet
Being accountable for our impact on the environment is one of Ownley’s primary concerns. Based in Sydney, we are fortunate to live in a beautiful environment with substantial infrastructure - where swimming at the beach after work, biking into the office or having access to opting for green energy is not seen as a luxury. While we understand as a commercial business we will never be perfect, we are nevertheless committed to mitigating the adverse effects of our operations.
Using the key targets set out by the UN Sustainable Development Goal 13 [Climate Action] as our guide, Ownley has initiated a new Green Strategy identifying three key areas of opportunity to affect climate change;
As a company, we are always looking for ways to improve. In 2018, we introduced our first biodegradable poly-bag, decomposing in landfill after 365 days. This year we found a supplier that has developed a certified poly-bag that is 100% compostable and degrades within just 90 days of entering landfill. These poly-bags have now been implemented company wide for all our production.
Furthermore, Last Label PTY LTD has produced custom fabric bags for samples to be packaged in. These are sent back and forth from Head Office to our factories, eliminating the need for problematic and unnecessary plastic. Last label PTY LTD is invested in ensuring any plastic-use is reusable, recyclable or compostable.
Packaging throughout all stages of production has been at the forefront of the company’s concern. We are devoted to using recycled products. Our online packaging and store carry bags are produced using a minimum 80% post-consumer waste and is 100% recyclable.
Company achievements include;
- Ownley’s own-ecommerce packaging is 100% sustainable.
- All polybags are 100% compostable.
- Ownley’s woven labels have been produced with the environment in mind. They use a reduced amount of polyester that is traditionally used to produce garment labels and has been replaced with 100% natural cotton. The only polyester used is in the warp of the label.
- The paper used to produce our swing tags is produced using a minimum 80% post-consumer waste and is 100% recyclable. The virgin paper used is sustainably sourced from certified plantations.
Ownley is committed to investing in finding sustainable solutions for all packaging. Our goals are as follows;
- By January 2021 — E-commerce will use FSC certified tissue paper for all order fulfilment. We will also remove all folding paper currently integrated into polybag packaging.
- By January 2022 — all distribution packaging will be FSC certified.
Ownley's Head Quarters and Boutiques have opted to “Go Neutral.” “Go Neutral” is a government-certified carbon neutral product, which means customers can offset emissions across the energy chain from the power source right to their home and all the parts in-between. Our team remains conscious as to how much energy we use daily, only using artificial light when needed and conserving energy wherever possible.
To support our desire to extend the life cycle of our product, we continue to have sample and achieve sales. We continue to promote product that we have not sold out of online until all units are sold out. This provides our customers with the opportunity to shop pieces they love from past seasons, covet unique upcycled products & one-off samples.